Make these meringues as a dessert or a festive snack. The combination of the crunchy lime foam and whipped cream is heavenly.
- 3 limes
- 2 eggs
- 150 g fine caster sugar
- 250 ml whipping cream
- Baking paper
- Piping bag with serrated nozzle
- Preheat the oven to 120 °C.
- Scrub the limes, zest the green skin and squeeze the juice of 1 lime.
- Separate the eggs. Beat the egg whites in a spotlessly clean bowl with the mixer until white and frothy. Add the sugar spoonful by spoonful. After each spoonful, beat the egg whites until the crystals have completely dissolved. This takes about 5 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of juice and 1 tablespoon of zest and beat briefly. Scoop the foam into the piping bag.
- Pipe approx. 8 flat (1 cm high) and 8 higher rosettes (2.5 cm) onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake the meringues in the middle of the oven for about 1 hour until crisp and cooked. They are ready when they come away from the baking paper easily. Turn off the oven and leave the meringues to cool in the oven for at least 1 hour. Allow to cool completely.
- Whip the cream with the mixer until stiff and add 1 teaspoon of lime juice and zest to taste.
- Using the piping bag, pipe some whipped cream onto the smaller meringue rosettes, sprinkle with some lime zest and top with the other meringue halves.
Nutrition value per person/bite
- 185 kcal
- 2 g
- 11 g
- 7 g
- 20 g
- 20 g
- 0 g