Vegetable skewers with mango chutney
Vegetables are even more delicious on the BBQ. Many types of vegetables are great for barbecuing. And with a sauce, or in this case a chutney, anything goes! This chutney is also delicious with chicken or on bread.
- 2 mangoes
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp coriander seed
- 2 cm ginger
- 1 lime
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 cayenne pepper
- 1 bunch green asparagus
- 12 mini aubergines, halved
- 6 mini courgettes, halved
- 12 mini cauliflowers
- salt and peper
- long wooden skewers (soaked in water for 1 hour) or steel skewers
- BBQ or grill pan
- For the mango chutney, slice the mango into two halves along the stone. Remove the stone and skin and cut the flesh into cubes. Or use a mango slicer.
- Roast the cardamom, cumin and coriander in a frying pan without oil until they become fragrant. Allow them to cool slightly and crush the spices finely in the mortar and remove the cardamom pods
- Peel and grate the ginger. Squeeze the lime. Heat 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil in a small pan. Fry the ginger and press the garlic over it. Add the brown sugar together with the lime juice and stir until it starts boiling. Lower the heat and add a dash of water, the roasted spices and the mango. Cook the chutney on a low heat for 30 minutes until it thickens. Remove the stem and seeds from the cayenne pepper and chop the flesh finely. Add the cayenne pepper and the turmeric to the chutney for the last 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, soak the skewers in cold water for 1 hour to prevent them from burning on the BBQ or in the grill pan.
- Trim away the woody base(2 cm) of the asparagus and cut them into pieces about 3 cm in size. Halve the mini aubergines lengthwise and the courgettes width-wise.
- Thread the vegetables alternately onto the skewers. Brush them with the rest of the sunflower oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast the skewers on the BBQ or in the grill pan for about 5-8 minutes until al dente and nicely coloured. Serve with the mango chutney and garnish with fresh coriander.
Tip: You can also thread some halloumi cheese between the vegetables for a nice savoury bite.
Nutrition value per person/bite
- 115 kcal
- 2 g
- 5 g
- 1 g
- 14 g
- 12 g
- 3 g