Sponge cake with granadilla curd
The delicious granadilla curd adds an extra taste dimension to this cake. And it looks extra special! The creamy curd also make the cakes taste nice and moist.
- Directly to...
- 10 persons
- 40 min. preparation 50 min. in the oven
- 660 kcal Nutrition Value
- 250 g butter, at room temperature,+ extra for greasing
- 250 g brown sugar
- 5 eggs, at room temperature
- 250 g flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 50 ml milk
- 5 eggs
- 150 g icing sugar
- 200 g butter
- 3 granadillas
- Cake tin 28 cm
- Baking paper
- Preheat the oven to 160 °C. Grease the cake tin with butter and line with baking paper.
- Beat the butter with the caster using the mixer for approx. 5 minutes until light and airy. Add the eggs to the batter one by one. Beat through the batter. Only add the next egg when the previous egg has been fully incorporated. Sieve the flour with the baking powder and a pinch of salt above the creamed mixture. Gently fold as lightly as possible through the mixture. Fold the milk though the batter. Spoon the batter into the cake tin.
- Bake the cake for 50 minutes until golden brown and cooked. To check if your cake is cooked, insert a clean (wooden) skewer into the centre of the cake and remove it. The cake is ready if the skewer comes out clean. Cool the cake on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, make the granadilla curd. Separate three eggs. Place the egg yolks in a heat-proof mixing bowl . Add the rest of the eggs and the icing sugar. Halve the granadillas and scoop out the flesh with a spoon. Add to the eggs. Cut the butter into cubes and add to the bowl. Suspend the bowl in a pan with a layer of boiling water, making sure the bowl does not touch the water. Stir until the mixture thickens to create a smooth curd. Allow to cool in the refrigerator.
- Brush the top of the cake with the curd.
- Storage tip: Do you have some granadilla curd left over? You can save it for about a week in a closed jar in the fridge. Tasty in yogurt or poured over vanilla ice cream.
Nutrition value per person/bite
- 660 kcal
- 10 g
- 42 g
- 26 g
- 60 g
- 42 g
- 2 g