Avo eggs Benedict
Surprise your family and friends at the Christmas or Easter breakfast with the avocado variant of the classic Eggs Benedict. The beautiful pink beetroot sauce add a splash of colour. Or surprise your loved one on Valentine's Day. In that case, serve with avocado hearts. If poaching the eggs is too much work, serve with a soft boiled egg.
- Directly to...
Avo eggs Benedict
- 150 g cooked beetroots
- 300 g Greek yoghurt
- 7 eggs
- 4 slices of wholemeal bread
- 3 avocados
- 75 g mixed salad leaves
- splash of vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Blender or hand blender
- Small cookie cutters (approx. 3-4 cm in star, heart or Easter egg shape)
- Purée the beetroot with the yoghurt in the blender or with the hand blender. Separate 3 eggs. Add the egg yolks to the yoghurt mix and blend to create a smooth sauce. Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- Toast the bread.
- In the meantime, cut the avocados all the way around the stone. Twist the two halves apart. Remove the stone and scoop the flesh out of the skin. Finely mash 2 avocados.
- Spread the mashed avocado on the toast Season with salt and pepper. Divide the mixed salad leaves over the avocado mash.
- Bring a layer of water of approximately 8 cm to a gentle boil in a shallow pan. Add a good splash of vinegar. Break an egg over a small cup. Using a spoon, begin stirring the water in a large, circular motion to create a vortex. Use a spoon to gently drop the egg into the vortex .The moving water will wrap the egg white around itself. Poach the egg for about 3 minutes. Remove the egg from the water with a slotted spoon. Leave it to drain briefly on kitchen paper. Repeat the above for the other 3 eggs. Carefully place the eggs on the mixed salad leaves using the slotted spoon.
- Season the eggs with salt and pepper. Pour over the sauce. Cut the remaining avocado into slices of approx. 7 mm and cut out star shapes with the cookie cutter (or eggs or hearts). Use to decorate the dish.
Tip: Egg whites can be frozen and stored for about 3 months. Or use them to bake some delicious, crispy meringues. Or add to an omelette for an extra airy effect.
Warning! This dish contains raw eggs and is not suitable for the elderly, pregnant women and young children. High in fibre
Nutrition value per person/bite
- 595 kcal
- 20 g
- 46 g
- 12 g
- 20 g
- 8 g
- 10 g