Vegetarian bao buns with mini carrot
Buy the buns frozen at an Asian food shop. If you don't have a steamer basket, you can heat them in the microwave. They’ll be a little less tasty, but still good.
- Directly to...
- 1 cucumber
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 shallots
- 400 g oyster mushrooms
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp ketjap manis (sweet soya sauce)
- 1 tsp sambal oelek (or more to taste)
- 4 bao buns
- 4 radishes
- 4 tbsp sriracha mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp black sesame seeds
- steamer basket (optional, otherwise microwave)
- Cut the cucumber into thin slices, then place in a mixing bowl with the vinegar and caster sugar. Halve the cayenne pepper lengthwise, remove the seeds, finely chop the flesh, and add to the bowl.
- Scrape the carrots, and cook them for about 3 minutes until al dente.
- Cut the shallots into thin half rings. Cut the oyster mushrooms into thin strips, and finely chop the garlic.
- Heat a frying pan with the olive oil. Fry the garlic and shallot for about 2 minutes on medium heat. Add the oyster mushrooms, and fry on a high heat for about 8 minutes. Add the sweet soya sauce, sambal and salt to taste.
- Heat a pan big enough for the steamer basket with a layer of water in it. When the water boils, place the buns in the steamer basket and cover with a lid. Steam the buns for about 10 minutes. In the meantime, thinly slice the radish.
- Fill the bao buns with the fried oyster mushrooms. Spread the radish, cucumber and mini carrot over the mushrooms. Top with sriracha mayonnaise, then sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Nutrition value per person/bite
- 455 kcal
- 11 g
- 22 g
- 3 g
- 47 g
- 34 g
- 5 g