Colourful choice! And it makes a change from banana bread or carrot cake. Bake an airy, green cake with avocado. Extra scrumptious with the creamy coconut icing.
- Directly to...
- 50 g butter, at room temperature, + extra for greasing
- 2 avocados
- 230 g sugar
- 5 eggs, at room temperature
- 250 g flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 50 g coconut oil
- 100 g butter
- 100 g icing sugar
- 100 g coconut milk
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp grated coconut
- Cake tin
- Baking paper
- Preheat the oven to 170 °C. Grease the cake tin with butter and line it with baking paper. Grease the baking paper a little too.
- Cut the avocado all the way around the stone. Twist the two halves apart. Remove the stone, scoop the flesh out of the skin and mash the flesh.
- Beat the butter and caster sugar with the mixer until the sugar crystals are slightly smaller. Beat the eggs one by one into the cake mixture. Only add the next egg when the previous egg is fully incorporated.
- Sieve the flour with the baking powder and a pinch of salt as lightly as possible through the mixture. Spoon the mashed avocado through the mixture. Spoon the cake mixture into the cake tin. Bake the cake in the middle of the oven for about 50 minutes until golden brown and cooked. The cake is ready if you insert a skewer and it comes out clean and dry. Leave the cake to cool on a wire tray for approx. 2 hours.
- In the meantime, make the icing. Melt the coconut oil and butter in a saucepan on a low heat. Add the icing sugar and coconut milk. Bring to the boil then turn down the heat.
- Stir the cornflour with one tablespoon of water until smooth. Add to the pan. Bring to the boil again and stir until the icing sugar is well blended. Allow to cool in the refrigerator.
- When the icing is still just runny, pour it over the cooled cake. Sprinkle with the grated coconut.
Tip: For a zingy flavour, add some EAT ME lime zest to the cake mixture along with the avocado. You can add the juice to the icing for extra flavour.
Nutrition value per person/bite
- 500 kcal
- 7 g
- 29 g
- 16 g
- 52 g
- 34 g
- 3 g