Are you a fan of sweet potato fries? Give yams a try - the taste is similar to sweet potato. Bake the fries in the oven for a healthy version or go 'all the way' and deep fry them!
- Directly to...
- 750 g yams
- oil for deep frying
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the deep fat fryer to 160 °C or preheat the oven to 200 °C.
- Peel the yams. Slice into long batons and soak them in cold water for 30 minutes. Pat them dry very well.
- There is no need to soak the yams if you plan to bake the fries in the oven. Divide the fries over a baking tray lined with baking paper and drizzle with the olive oil. Bake the fries for approx. 25 mins. until they are tender and slightly wrinkled.
- Or deep fry the fries for 5 mins. at 160 °C. Drain them on kitchen paper and heat the oil to 180 °C. Fry them for a further 6-7 minutes until they are light brown and cooked. Scatter with salt before serving if you wish.
- Tip: Leave the yams unpeeled. The skin contains lots of nutrients and is good for your digestion and provides extra fibres.
Nutrition value per person/bite
- 295 kcal
- 2 g
- 11 g
- 2 g
- 46 g
- 1 g
- 2 g